Sunday, November 4, 2012

Section 1: Defining the Field

The definitions in the first chapter of the book are quite detailed.  I believe that instructional media is anything that a teacher uses in order to teach a concept in a classroom setting.  I do believe that using instructional media requires teachers to have an ethical code of conduct.   We should preview any type of media that will be used in the classroom setting before it is used.  Instructional media should be used to improve students' performance  and achievement in the classroom. My very first year of teaching, I taught with an overhead projector.  Those were the good old days when I'd come home with marker all over my hands.  During that same year I decided that I would purchase a wireless graphics tablet, a projector, and my own personal laptop in order to teach my lessons.  I was able to show my students more examples of problems that we worked in class.  I do not think that my definition of instructional technology has changed since I read this chapter.  I think that I've just gained a better understanding of what instructional technology is.
 

 I've taught 8th grade math for the past 6 years of my teaching career.  One year I brought in boxes and food containers for students so that we could measure the volume.  Each table was assigned a different 3-dimensional shape.  Each child in the group had a the same 3-d shape and they were to take measurements and use the formulas provided for them on the 8th grade mathematics formula chart.  They were then to compare their answers and come upon an agreement.  After a certain amount of time, they would have to switch to another table with a different shape and complete the same task.  I know that this task did not require them to use much media, but I wold consider the printed papers that they had to record their responses on as a type of instructional media.  Also prior to the lesson, as a class we created fold-ables on how to find the volume of all the different types of 3-dimensional shapes. I think that this activity was student centered, allowed them to self-correct, had a common goal, and did require them to have some type of team effort involved.


I would consider teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks as instructional media.  I think that anything that can be used to teach a concept would be instructional media.  I suppose that Reiser thinks of media only in terms of technology maybe.  I think that the purpose of instructional media is to determine the best possible resources that will allow the teacher to instruct the class to immerse themselves in a learning activity that will create self motivated learning opportunities. 

5 comments:

  1. Christina,

    I thought you had a great lesson plan measuring the volumes. I liked how each student worked alone and then came together as a group. This gave each student a chance to solve the problem them self and then meet with peers to discuss the problem. This solved a problem I had often with one or two people doing all the work when they met in groups. I liked that it was also self correcting. I have learned from research and personal experience when students worked collaboratively the exchange of ideas increased interest, more often they used critical thinking skills and had better retention of the information.

    I also agree with you on teachers, chalkboards and textbooks being instructional media. I have found that it depends on the student and the situation as to which instructional media works best and I don't always think it involves technology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah,

      I did not mention this in the post, but I had tried the same activity a few years before, and I also had one student in the groups that would do all of the work. After a few tweaks here and there in the lesson ans assigning group roles, the lesson got better with time. All students knew they were held accountable for knowing the information.

      Delete
  2. Christina,

    Based on your post, you and I have very similar teaching strategies and philosophies. I am also a math teacher and I love to see collaborative work in my room. I think having lessons for students to work individually and then come together as a group to discuss and show their work provides such great learning opportunities for everyone!

    As a math teacher, we do a lot of hands on learning activities. Manipuatives make such a big impact on students being able to internalize the concepts rather than simply using worksheets and formulas. I would definitely consider all of these things as instructional media. They are all part of my teaching arsenal that I would never want to be without. It would be difficult for me to only consider electronic resources as media. While the electronic piece of my classroom is an important one, it is certainly not the only thing I draw on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri,

      I agree with you that electronic media is not the only type of media used in the classroom. I have had my projector go out 3 times in the past two years. My classes were great! We mad due without any computers or electronics. Just me, the students, and the good old trusty whiteboard. I think they kind of enjoyed the lesson a little more without all of the technology. Don't get me wrong, i LOVE my InterWrite board, but sometimes it's nice to go back to the simpler things in the classroom even if it's just for a day or two.

      Delete
  3. Sorry for the late response! I was waiting for my textbook and didn’t feel that I could leave an adequate response without having read the section and completing my own blog post!
    I think that it is great that you took it upon yourself to seek out the technology needed to really enhance your lessons! Not many people are willing to do things like that. It seems that you have a great understanding of instructional media and I agree with you 100% that we must preview any media that we use in the classroom. I am surprised at how many teachers do not preview!
    The activity that you shared sound like a great one! I teach kindergarten and although it is a far cry from 8th grade, I have done a similar activity using 3-D shapes. I had the students bring in several objects from home and I sorted them by shape and placed them at various tables. My students then spent time at each table examining the shapes and discussing their similarities and differences. I think that the teamwork involved in activities such as these provides the students with such a rich learning experience!
    I agree that anything that can be used to teach a concept is instructional medial and also feel that teachers, chalkboards and textbooks should be included in that category.

    ReplyDelete